As the application process includes taking a photo and the ten fingerprints of each applicant, it is not possible to send in a visa application via the post. This also applies to residents of Samoa and the Cook Islands.
Each applicant aged 12 years and over must travel to Wellington to apply for their visa in person.
The only exception applies to applicants of visas for African countries. Applicants for these visas are not required to apply in person at the Consulate of France.
One appointment must be made for each passport holder. Applicants will need to make an appointment during the opening hours of the Consulate of France : 9.15 am to 1.15 pm, Monday to Friday.
Applicants will not be admitted to the Consulate if they do not have an appointment.
Please click here to book an appointment.
If applicants are unable to attend an appointment they should amend or cancel it.
Please provide original documents + one photocopy of each of these.
- Completed and signed long stay visa application form.
- One recent passport photograph,
- Passport (valid for at least three months after your return date),
- Completed Convention d’accueil: a contract between the applicant and a French university or scientific organisation, signed by the president or managing director of that university or organisation and authorised by the local Préfecture,
- Completed and signed OFII form
- Long stay visa fees. Please click here for the latest visa fees. Please note that visa fees must be paid in cash.
- Travel itinerary or booked flights,
- A pre-paid courier envelope with the applicant’s address provided for return of passport.
For spouse and dependants
In addition to all the documents listed above, the applicants must provide:
- Marriage certificate. Documents issued by religious authorities will not be accepted.
- Children’s birth certificates. Documents issued by religious authorities will not be accepted.
- Visa fees: The applicant’s family members must pay the long stay visa fees. Please click here for the latest visa fees. Please note that visa fees must be paid in cash.
From the date we receive your application, we require a minimum of four weeks to process it..
It is your responsibility to provide us with a complete application.
If any documents are missing from your application, it is highly likely that your visa will not be granted.